A potted history of Fakkelgaarden
Martin Hammerich was largely responsible for obtaining sufficient funds to build what was originally known as "Grænsehjemmet". He was also responsible for construction in 1934. The original plan was to use "Grænsehjemmet" for conferences, training courses, holidays for schoolchildern, and as a youth hostel for young people from North Schleswig and the rest of Denmark. The idea was to make more people aware of the Danish/German border region and its history.
On his death in 1940, Martin Hammerich left his property to "The Young Border Guards", and in gratitude to the benefactor a memorial bust of Hammerich made by his brother Gunnar was erected in June 1941. After several stages of expansion, "Grænsehjemmet" was opened officially on 18th October 1936 with King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine of Denmark in attendance.
On 23rd January 1978 "Grænsehjemmet" was sold to J. Johansen, who ran it as a youth hostel until 1990, when the buildings were offered for sale. An entirely new era in the history of the old "Grænsehjemmet" began in July 1992, when Fakkelgaarden opened as a hotel and restaurant for visitors from both north and south.